Monday 20 August 2012

"blabosphere" or "egosphere"

Here goes another blog post that focuses on the topic of a "blogosphere." Which I literally had no idea what was. Before this assignment I had no idea how to even write a blog let alone what a blogosphere entailed.

But then I came across a very interesting website while doing my research, which helped to define the blogosphere as a community made up of blogs and their connections. It is said to have been coined in 1999 by Brad. L Graham and then recoined by William Quick in 2002.


But, what was most interesting was the notions of the "layers of a blogosphere." These layers include:
1. Geekosphere
2. Servosphere
3. Bizosphere
4. Newsophere
5. Blabosphere
6. Egosphere
7. Searchosphere

My personal favourites include "blabosphere" which is the layer made up of personal blogs that are "highly charged of buzz, advice, stories and lots of echo" and also the "egosphere" which is the "lair of celebrity blogging." All these layers make up the different aspects of online blogging.

The blogosphere creates an online community in which every individual can be involved whether it be through current affairs, personal anecdotes or even the technology that is shared. They can comment, and post, and blog on their ideas, and thoughts, and opinions. Both the blogosphere and the public sphere unite in the common thread of sharing personal opinions and spreading public discourse.
A huge example of this, which spread like wildfire through the uses of social media was the subject Kony 2012 campaign that got over 86 million views on their youtube film within months of its release. This indicates the strong influence that social media and the blogosphere has on public opinion and discourse.


References:
Starr, J, 2007, "What are the different layers of the blogosphere"
http://perishablepress.com/what-are-the-different-layers-of-the-blogosphere/

3 comments:

  1. This blog on blogs was really informative and entertaining. The best part is definitely the different types/layers of blogs, great find! Your points on blogosphere are current and spot on. I found it quite funny and easily relatable. I really like your discussion/talkative tone to your blogs, it makes them flow well and I don’t find myself skimming.
    I think one tiny thing that is missing is more in-text referencing, eg. ‘Blabosphere’ (Starr 2007) etc. But it is clear that you have used this and included it in a reference list. You also could have used a further resource for your Kony point.
    Nice post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is an excellent post!! It is really well researched & I feel like you've answered my questions about the Blogosphere, this definitely clarifies what I didn't know... I definitely didn’t know that there were layers to the Blogosphere...let alone there being seven individual layers. I'm in the same boat... I've never written nor had a blog set up prior to this unit, so it's all new for me also! I thought that it was great that you mentioned the KONY saga, simply because that is a really good example of something that went viral, thanks to the internet, Facebook and You-Tube- of course!! I remember scrolling though my newsfeed on Facebook wondering what the hell is going on, who is this guy??? And what’s the big fuss all about!!! It's amazing how quick all the videos and Images went viral... not to mention the amount of Facebook statuses and Like pages!! It's really crazy! Nice work! Keep it up!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed the unpacking of the "layers of a blogosphere", definitely a new concept for me (you learn something new every day!). You linked the concept to a highly visible public event (Kony 2012) but perhaps this could have been expanded somehow. I like how you’ve chosen something that (as you said) have literally stumbled across in your research and found interesting. It’s always good to take something a bit different and run with it – it gives you a real point of difference. As said, you have obviously used sources but haven’t quite referenced them completely. Good job all the same!

    ReplyDelete