Thursday 6 September 2012

The Colliding and Convergence of Culture

Convergence culture- where new and old media collide.
In his new book, Henry Jenkins describes how this is the flow of information across multiple media platforms. New media, involving blogging, social media and the internet is now disperesed among the old media of newpsapers and radio. We have entered a new stage in society where nearly anyone now has the ability to publish their thoughts and opinions so that they are influencing the world around them.
Whether it be decisions made in corporate boardrooms or decisions made in a teenagers bedroom, new media has enabled everybody the chance to discuss their thoughts over the internet..

There has been much discussion about whether the newspaper is now dead, in a society where the latest information can be found within seconds on the internet, is the traditonal source of information in the daily paper, slowly dying?
I believe that although I still try to read the newspaper every day, many people (especially in the younger generations) will soon begin to reach for their smart phones and Ipads for news information instead of newspapers and radio.. I'm sure I'm not the only one who would never listen to the radio apart from it being in my car? I don't think I even own a radio.. point made!

Consumers now have the ability to get the information they want, when they want it, where they want it and how they want it.. and at the moment this through the ability of accessing both new and old media!




References:
Jenkins, H, (2006) 'Welcome to Convergence Culture'  Date Retrieved: 6/9/12 http://henryjenkins.org/2006/06/welcome_to_convergence_culture.html

1 comment:

  1. Cool post Tori! Agree with your point of social media being dispersed through print media and radio, how often do we see a 'have your say' section where everybody responds to a general question via twitter. I myself prefer to get my news from the internet because it’s free and convenient, but I also like reading the newspaper. I heard a rumour that the Age is going to bring out their own version of the ipad for people to get news from, if that is the case those who are in the printing profession will be joining the unemployment line

    ReplyDelete